FedoraForum.org – Lexmark z605 printer driver problem: “I successfully got the Lexmark Z605 to run under Fedora Core 3 on a Toshiba Satellite A65-S1070 via USB cable.
If you don’t have the same FC release as I do, or different hardware, your mileage may vary.
Here are the step I took after reading this thread and the thread at Linuxprinting.org.
1. I made sure my cups and cups libs packages were up to date. Current versions are: cups 1:1.1.22-0.rc1.8.5.i386 and cups-libs 1:1.1.22-0.rc1.8.5.i386.
2. I downloaded the driver from Lexmark http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-pe…me=&fileID=1151 .
3. mkdir lexmark (creating a temporary directory to untar the driver file in).
4. mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark/
5. cd lexmark
6. tar -zxvf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz (this will leave you with the original tar.gz file in your directory along with COPYING, README and z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh).
7. sh ./z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh -keep (this will create a subdirectory called ‘installer’ .. ignore the errors you see!)
8. cd installer/
9. su , then enter your password. up until this point your havn’t been working as root .. right??
10. rpm -i –nodeps z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm
11. rpm -i z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm
12. Browse to the CUPS web interface, http://localhost:631/ .
13. Click on ‘Printers’
14. Click on ‘Add Printer’
15. Follow the self explanatory dialogues to set up your printer. Within a minute you should be printing a test page.
If something goes wrong, make sure you followed all of these steps in the exact order I did them.